Because who can afford books in this economy?

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Review: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

Title: Revolution
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Published: October 2010
Source: Library
Synopsis from Goodreads:
BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart.


Oh man this book was good. Really, really, really good. Top five of the whole year good. I was reading it every spare second I had, and it takes a lot to make me read that much these days. I don't know how she did it, but from the very beginning I was hooked. I had an instant connection with Andi's voice and wanted to know more about her. I haven't finished a book in so little time in months.


Writing a review about really great books is hard. There's a lot I could say, but none of it really seems to sum up the greatness of this book. At least with mediocre books, or bad books there's something that could say I didn't like, but with this book all that I can say is that I loved everything! The plot, the pacing, the characters, the phenomenal writing, everything. 

Sorry for the review being so, well, not review-like, but I can't think of anything to say other than AMAZING GO READ IT NOOOOOW!


Characters: 10/10
Writing: 10/10
Originality: 10/10
Plot: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Overall: 50/50 A+

4 comments:

  1. Wow, a perfect score! I must say, I was pretty hesitant about reading this book at first, but after reading your review, I think I just might pick it up. Another thing to add to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! Although I love reading historical fiction I preferred the parts of the book that were set in modern times. I thought Andi was a fantastic character.

    I agree with you that sometimes it is harder to write about books you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read so many good things about this novel. It is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails